To provide legal services to the Union of Ontario Indians (UOI), Anishinabek Nation 7th Generation Charity and to provide legal support to the Anishinabek Nation.
The UOI Legal Department was established to provide cost effective and responsive legal services to the Union of Ontario Indians, related corporations, the Anishinabek Nation and Anishinabek communities. The goals of the Legal Department are:
- To be the preferred legal service provider for the Anishinabek Nation, Union of Ontario Indians, Anishinabek Nation 7th Generation Charity;
- To support the evolution and operation of the Anishinabek Nation, Union of Ontario Indians, Anishinabek Nation 7th Generation Charity;
- To be recognized as an accessible and leading advisor to Anishinabek First Nations, leadership and citizens of the member First Nations on First Nation legal issues;
- To provide legal services to the ROJ Self Government Initiative;
Additional Legal Service Resources
If you are seeking legal representation that is beyond our mandate, please consider the following services:
• The Law Society Referral Service – This service offered by the Law Society of Upper Canada allows you to locate a lawyer or licensed paralegal in your area who practices the particular area of law in which you seek assistance. Individuals who use this service may receive a free 30 minute consultation. Contact:http://findlegalhelp.ca (English) or www.recherchejuriste.ca (French) or call (416-947-5255 or 1-855-947-5255.
- Legal Aid Ontario – You may be eligible for a legal aid certificate or other forms of legal advice if you cannot afford a lawyer and meet the necessary criteria established by Legal Aid Ontario. Contact: http://www.legalaid.on.ca/en/ or toll free: 1-800-668-8258 for more information.
For information on court services and locations: http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/default.asp