Information on the PST exemption part of the HST

Harmonized Sales Tax Reimbursement

Status Indians that have paid the eight percent Ontario component of the HST on goods or services that qualify for exemption may claim a refund by submitting an application with accompanying respective receipts by mail to the Ontario Ministry of Revenue.

Goods and Services Purchased Off Reserve that Qualify for HST Refund:

  • New and used motor vehicles purchased from a dealership;
  • Take-out meals including ‘fast food drive thru’ and pizza delivery;
  • Agreements for warranty of qualifying purchases;
  • A service of installing, assembling, dismantling, adjusting, repairing or maintaining qualifying personal property;
  • Clothing and footwear;
  • Child car seats and boosters;
  • Basic groceries including diapers;
  • Prescription drugs and dispensing services;
  • Home and mobile (cell) phone bills; and
  • Internet, satellite and cable bills.

Goods and Services Purchased Off Reserve that Do Not Qualify for HST Refund:

  • Dry cleaning;
  • Household cleaning services
  • Electricity and heating services;
  • Home maintenance or repair service calls;
  • Landscaping, lawn care and private snow removal;
  • Hotel rooms;
  • Taxis;
  • Gasoline/diesel;
  • Green fees for golf;
  • Gym memberships;
  • Sports and recreational activities (i.e. karate, ballet, soccer);
  • Live theatre tickets less than 3200 seats;
  • Hair stylist/barber;
  • Tobacco and nicotine replacement products; and
  • Hunting and fishing licenses.

To file a report of a retailer that has not honoured the HST exemption for Ontario status First Nations:

  1. Contact the Ontario Ministry of Finance by telephone at 1-866-668-8297 (1-866-ONT-TAXS)
  2. When prompted at the voice-activated menu “What program are you calling about?”, say “Retail Sales Tax”
  3. When prompted “Do you have a business number or vendor permit number”, say “No”
  4. You will then be directed to an operator
  5. Ask to be transferred to “Refunds and First Nation Exemptions”
  6. When the operator answers, notify the operator that you wish to file a report of a retailer not honouring the HST point-of-sale exemption for First Nations
  7. Provide as much of the following information as you are able to give:
  • Your name and telephone number (for follow up contact by the Ministry)
  • The name of the retailer (store name)
  • Telephone number of the retailer
  • Address of the retailer
  • Name of the owner/manager


The Ministry of Revenue is now able to handle complaints regarding vendors who are not honouring the PST exemption at Point of Sale for Status Indians.

Call the Toll Free number 1-866-668-8297, state that you would like to file a complaint regarding a vendor and give them the vendors name, address, and phone number.

Regarding service providers, ie: (cable, internet, phone) please contact the companies directly to provide them with your status card number and account information and/or other required documentation as per their process.  Or you can mail in your monthly bills for the PST refund.

First Nations-owned telecommunications company.  Visit their website I’m sure you’ll have no hassle getting either the PST exemption if you live off-reserve!
Fax your name, address, account number and a photo copy of the front and back of your Status Card to 1-807-622-1900.
Fax the front and back of your Status Card, along with your account number, name and address to 1-905-333-8136.
Call Eastlink customer service 1-888-345-1111 and give them your account number, First Nation you are a citizen of, Registry number and Family number (last three numbers of your registry number).  Apparently they have a way to verify your Status Card information.
Snail mail them a letter – with your name, account number, address and THIS CODE:  TXNI  Also state what your Status Card number is and mail to:
Rogers Telecom INC
Attention:  Fullfillment Department, GB720
105 Gordon Baker Road, Suite 700
Toronto, ON  M2H 3S1
You CAN send in your telecommunications bills (from the last four years) to get the PST exemption back and send with the refund form (see refund form link above).  This sometimes takes 3 months to get a refund from the Ministry of Revenue.

You’re exempt from paying the Debt Retirement Charge (DRC) if you’re a First Nations person consuming electricity on a reserve, or Individual in the diplomatic community that has an exemption certificate or is exempt from paying the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). In order to receive this exemption, please fill out and send us an exemption form, contact our Customer Communications Centre with your Certificate of Indian Status card nu


HST Briefing Notes, September 2010
HST, Goods and Services List